How To Donate:

Go to my Beard-A-Thon Page
And fill out the form to Pledge this Beard!
(Make sure it says Shawny Hill)

Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Mother Vs. My Girlfriend - The Beard Debate

I've always loved growing a playoff beard. It's something I think every hockey fan should do at least once and every hockey player should do as soon as they are able to grow anything.

Yet every year at playoff time I'm reminded, that there is one person in my life that HATES beards. And she let's me know, multiple times a day. Luckily for me, I have a very important person in my corner who is Pro-beard!

But every playoff season, I have to hear this debate. So I asked them to write up a short piece to share with you (philly)phaithful Beard Blog readers. Enjoy!

------

Why I Hate the Beard

By: Shawny’s Mom

Hate the beard Shawn! I am glad the Flyers made the playoffs, but now I have to look at my son with this ugly beard. Every day I see the beard growing more. It seems to grow out, rather than longer. It is crawling down his neck and up his face. I think it looks horrible. It is coarse and thick and takes away from his beautiful blue eyes. He is 24 years old, but now looks like he is pushing 30, with all this hair on his face.

I know it is for a good cause, to raise money for Flyers Charities, but this beard takes away his boyish looks. Help, my son looks like a mountain man!! I can only wonder how the Flyers mothers feel watching their pride and joy on the ice, covered with facial hair, hiding the face they love. I’m hoping the Flyers win them all in a row these playoffs, so all this ugly hair can disappear.


Why I Love the Beard

By: Missle (Shawny's Girlfriend)

Love it or hate it, the Stanley Cup Playoff Beard is a time-honored tradition that has evolved into a staple of the sport itself. Every April, fans and players alike shun their razors for as long as their team can stay alive in the grueling, thrilling quest for Lord Stanley's prize. I love the playoff beard because it serves as a constant reminder of my favorite time of year. Because it represents my team's quest, and the fact that this might be our year. Because it means I'll be able to watch the best hockey played all year on television, every night. Because, from the # 21 of 2008 to the # 21 of 2010, the range of beard growing ability never ceases to amaze me. Because, this time of year, stubble on your face represents much more than a laziness, fashion statement, or an unwillingness to shave; it means you're a part of a team.

As for Shawny's beard? Well, that's where his mom and I disagree... I think it looks great on him :-)

------

No matter who you agree with, both would like to ask you to donate, because helping out a great cause is always a favorite!



LET'S GO FLYERS!!










-Dancin' Shawny
(Hittin' up the Twitter tonight for Game 5!)

No comments:

Post a Comment