How To Donate:

Go to my Beard-A-Thon Page
And fill out the form to Pledge this Beard!
(Make sure it says Shawny Hill)

Monday, April 25, 2011

Brothers in Beard

Another Game 7 on the way. Bring it!

Haven't posted as much this year as opposed to other years, but I'm back today with a fresh new post. I've been spreading the word as much as I can about Beardathon and I'm happy to be a part of an amazing fundraising effort. The competition is as tough as it as ever been this year, as I've dropped to 5th in the standings, the lowest I've ever been in Round 1. Now while I'd like you to donate and help me get back into the top 3, I want give special recognition to those who have helped raise over $15,500 so far! Let's keep it going boys!

Now back to the blog, this year I've seen a trend during this year's playoffs when watching other teams around the league. Underachieving beards have been replaced with mustaches, mutton chops, and other lame substitutes for the playoff beard.

I'm not trying to be the "traditionalist" that is stuck in my ways and will never except change. In fact, the "tradition" isn't even that old, but I just feel the playoff beard has a great foundation.

Not every man can grow a beard, and it comes down to two basic reasons. 1) They just don't grow hair fast enough or even enough in the right areas. 2) They hate letting full control of their face go. Scott Hartnell and Ville Leino can grow one seemingly instantly. JvR and Danny Briere need a couple rounds. But when each of them are willing to put the razor away, and bare the ugliness that may result, it shows a commitment and attitude very similar to the one on the ice. It also shows that you've reached that next level. It's about stepping up and saying, I am a man, and going for the greatest trophy in sports. Being a Stanley Cup Champion puts you in a class of your own, arguably the highest in the world of hockey.

See, there are guys on a hockey team that can't pump in a ton of goals, or log a ton of minutes. Perhaps they can kill penalties or change the momentum with physical play. Come playoff time, it doesn't matter how it gets done, as long as the end result is a win.

And the playoff beard? It's not about style points, it's not about looking the best, or growing the fastest. It's about showing you'll do whatever it takes. You're a man, and you are here to give 100%

Mustaches? Mutton Chops? Mullets? Dyed hair? Perhaps it gives you unity. Maybe it shows how you can all come together. And that's why at the High School, Junior, or College levels, I can accept it when a whole team does it. But this is the NHL. To me it comes across as bucking tradition just to be stylish or different. "We won't do what our Daddy's did" type of mentality. Ironic mustaches. Overdone chops. OHL style dyedhawks. Save it. Go beard or go home.


With that said, I'm proud to show off my beard at every stage. And hey, raise a little money for a great cause as well.

Keep on growin'

Beard on!


LET'S GO FLYERS!!



-Dancin' Shawny
(Follow me on Twitter: @ShawnyShawnyH)

No comments:

Post a Comment